Hey, guys! It’s almost time to give the razor a rest and let that mustache grow. Movember is just around the corner! The Movember Foundation is a global charity dedicated to raising awareness and funds for men’s health issues. Each November, they challenge men worldwide to start the month clean-shaven, and then let their mustache grow for the next 30 days. These Mo Bros, as they are called, then use their mustache as a conversation piece to discuss men’s health issues with others and raise funds for support programs.
The Movember Foundation focuses primarily on three issues that affect men’s health: prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health. Statistics for these diseases in the U.S. are alarming.
• Half of all men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime
• Testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer found in men ages 15-35
• If diagnosed and treated early, testicular cancer has a 95 percent cure rate
• A man is 35 percent more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than a woman is to be diagnosed with breast cancer
• Prostate cancer has a 97 percent cure rate if caught and treated early
• Over 6 million men are diagnosed with depression annually (Source: Movember Foundation)
In addition to sharing the word with others, Movember is a great excuse to think about your own health as well! If it’s been awhile since you last visited your healthcare provider, schedule an annual physical today. Your doctor can assess your medical needs and make recommendations to get you on the fast track to good health.
Now that you’re motivated to get healthy and spread the word, your only problem will be deciding what type of mustache to don for Movember. Will you choose the Chevron, like Tom Selleck in Magnum P.I.? Maybe you’ll channel your inner wrestler and grow the Hulk Hogan Horseshoe. You could always represent the golden age of cinema with a Clark Gable pencil mustache. Or maybe you’ll go all out and sport a handlebar, like the major league baseball player, Rollie Fingers.
Whatever type of facial hair suits your fancy, don’t forget the real cause behind Movember. Register today and start sharing the message of men’s health with those around you. Sporting a mustache never looked so good!